The Necessities

Arun asks what the necessary pre-requisites for the development of high intelligence are. Naturally, I don't know, but I won't let that keep me from making a guess:

1)Size - needed for a big brain, needed to manipulate fire and metal, and needed to hunt other major animals.

2)Smarts - I think you need a pretty advanced brain to start with - I won't go beyond this utterly vague claim.

3)Means of manipulation - you need some functional equivalent of a hand. No technology without the ability to manipulate fire and metal - which probably leaves purely marine creatures out.

4)Social organization - I think it's unlikely that solitary animals could develop high intelligence - culture is probably a necessity.

So what creatures living today could have a shot: other apes, some monkeys, possibly beavers.

Comments, questions, flames, or advice?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anti-Libertarian: re-post

Uneasy Lies The Head

Book Review: Anaximander By Carlo Rovelli