It's the End of the World as We Know It

And I'm still voting for Obama.

There is a scene in the movie Master and Commander: the Far Side of the World where the Captain (Russell Crowe) and the Doctor(Paul Bettany) are eating hard tack biscuits, and a couple of weevils crawl out. Crowe asks Bettany which of the two is the smaller. The Doctor, good naturalist that he is, inspects them and selects one. That, says Crowe, is what the job of a commander is about: choosing the lesser of two [we]evils.

That is the job of the politician and the statesman as well, and so also the voter. Thus, despite my distress about FISA, I have told myself "fuggedaboudit."

I too must choose the lesser weevil. That is an easy choice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anti-Libertarian: re-post

Uneasy Lies The Head

Book Review: Anaximander By Carlo Rovelli