The One Hundred Greatest Non-Fiction Books

Once again the list of the title has been compiled by some moderately well-read idiots, this time at The Guardian.  I always hate these lists, mainly since I usually haven't read most of them.  Oddly enough, nearly all these great books were written in the twentieth century, most of them during my lifetime.  It's non-fiction, so the Bible doesn't make it but Herodetus does - I guess you have to draw the line somewhere.

Clay Shirky makes the cut, but Aristotle doesn't.  Hawking Si; Penrose No.  Marx, Ja; Adam Smith, Nein.

I was happy to see that Doug Hofstadter's Goedel, Escher, and Bach made the list, but Euclid, perhaps the most influential non-fiction book of all time didn't.  Look in vain also for Copernicus, Galileo, Newton...

Oh well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anti-Libertarian: re-post

Uneasy Lies The Head

Book Review: Anaximander By Carlo Rovelli