One Socratic Gem

...the uneducated, when they engage in argument about anything, give no thought to the truth about the subject of discussion but are only eager that those present will accept the position they have set forth.

Readings in Ancient Greek Philosophy: From Thales to Aristotle (p. 187). Hackett Publishing Company, Inc.. Kindle Edition.

Since I have been dissing the man, I ought to give credit now and again.

Another:

After this, he said, when I had wearied of investigating things, I thought that I must be careful to avoid the experience of those who watch an eclipse of the sun, for some of them ruin their eyes unless they watch its reflection in water or some such material. A similar [e] thought crossed my mind, and I feared that my soul would be altogether blinded if I looked at things with my eyes and tried to grasp them with each of my senses. So I thought I must take refuge in discussions and investigate the truth of things by {192} means of words.

Readings in Ancient Greek Philosophy: From Thales to Aristotle (pp. 191-192). Hackett Publishing Company, Inc.. Kindle Edition.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anti-Libertarian: re-post

Uneasy Lies The Head

We Call it Soccer